Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Blizzard of 2006

At 10:30 A.M. the snow's finally tapering off. The blizzard is over; or is this just a lull? I'm trying to guess how much we got, at least a foot, I'd say. I can't open the front door, it's over two feet there, but that's from drifting. Mini drifts line the bottoms of all my screens, while above they're dotted with snow puffs resembling cotton balls.

People are out with snow blowers and shovels trying to remove at least a layer of the deep snow. The big problem is where to put it. Living in such a crowded area, our houses so close and yards so small, they'll soon be shovelling it over their heads.

I went off to do other things and left this as a a draft. Now at 3:00 P.M. it is still snowing--never stopped. I've been trying to feed the birds all day. For some reason my hanging feeder, that I can reach from inside, didn't seem to be working. Maybe the perches were icy, the seed came out when I poked the holes with a pen. Finally I just dumped it all under the tree and hoped it wouldn't sink in snow or be cover with more snow before the birds got it. Saw a cardinal in the back and swept off part of my back porch, but the seeds were soon buried and no birds came, ditto for the seed I placed on the kitchen window sills. A couple of boys came to shovel me out as well as they could. I threw seed on the top landing and finally my chippies were able to eat. Time to check and see if they need more.

No comments: