Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

A Moslem and a Christian

A few days before Christmas, a young Moslem woman asked if I'd show her how to write Merry Christmas so she could make 25 cards for her little boy to give to his classmates. I made a few samples and she copied them fairly well, but I could see the idea of writing so many was a daunting project for her.

I offered to write them and we began to talk. I told her I was sorry for what the decent Moslems had gone through since 9/11. I mentioned that I'd received an e-mail that quoted verse 9-11 in the Koran as saying, something to the effect, that the eagle would overcome them. When I checked on the Internet, verse 9-11 said nothing of the sort.

She told me she'd heard no Jews had died in the Towers and I promised to check. The next time we met I told her the victim's page had lots of Jewish names and they estimated that between 400-500 Jews died that day. So, two hateful myths were laid to rest.

This week she came to see if I'd receeived a gift she'd delivered two weeks earlier. While I was unwrapping a box of chocolates and a pair of candlesticks I hadn't known about, she left with a wave and an impish grin.

So, how about it world? Making friends isn't really that hard.

If you receive an e-mail or hear something aimed at making you hate or distrust, please check it out and set the record straight. Please.

No comments: