Pages

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Tsunami Victims Need Longterm Help

The 2004 tsunami victims need both immediate and longterm help to put their lives back together again. I cannot even begin to fathom the pain and fear they must be suffering after surviving an earthquake, a tidal wave, and God only knows what physical injuries while losing family members and friends and everything they own.
Now the threat of disease and starvation is everywhere. The need for food will go on for months and the rebuilding of entire villages will likely take years.

If you are concerned about the future these people face, please check out www.planusa.org for information on how to sponsor a child with a monthly contribution of only $24.00.

I discovered the organization, now called Childreach, and formerly known as Foster Parents Plan, after a trip to South America in the seventies. When I returned home and thought about the level of poverty I had witnessed and the lack of opportunity faced by the children I decided to see how I could help.

My parents and I returned to S.A. the following year and met our foster children. Nothing has ever touched me more than meeting Ignacia and Wilson and knowing that with our help they would eat more, go to school and have a chance for a brighter future. One of the things I admire about Childreach is their all-encompassing way of working. The foster child is helped, the family is helped, and neighborhood projects are encouraged, planned and implemented.

Please don't let the enormity of this disaster leave you feeling numb and helpless. Enormous amounts of money are pouring in now for immediate relief, but the effects will go on for years. Consider adopting a child today and experience love from a world away when you receive your first letter and picture. A life is in your hands.



No comments: