Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Waiting for Social Security

Tomorrow is a big day for me. Will I, or won't I receive my Social Security check for January? This should be a no-brainer, but when I filed for S.S. the beginning of 2005 I was urged to also file for disability at the same time. Friends said go for it, S.S. people said, nothing to it, if you're declared eligible they'll just switch you over to the higher disability amount. Smile.

Sounds good right?

I received my S.S. checks for four months and then a higher amount in October and November. Sweet, yes? No. I called S.S. office and said, there must be a mistake, I still haven't sent you some papers you just asked for. Ah, you must be getting Supplemental they said. Hmmm. I persevered and kept calling, but I hardly ever got through and the woman I left messages for never called back.

Are you ready for the good part? I get a bill from disability saying I owe them $4,893.00. Whoa, I say! Tops I owe you about $300 for the overpayment, but I didn't receive my Social Security in December, so you owe me the difference.

Stay tuned.

No comments: